Weekly Grab Bag of Goodness
A lot of things happen in a one week cycle in pop culture, and it’s impossible to cover all of it. However, we’ve compiled a few things we think are worthy of note.
- Youth Lagoon (otherwise known as Trevor Powers), is one of fourteen artists to contribute to The Space Project, which provided said artists with rare recordings from space. Powers sourced sounds from the Rings of Uranus for his new track ‘Worms’. Check it out HERE: https://soundcloud.com/fatpossum/worms/
- On the subject of YL – he’s playing some Laneway sideshows presented by Secret Sounds, with special guests Broods. There will be a Sydney show (Tickets available via Moshtix) and a Melbourne one (Tickets available via Oztix). Or just check out this Pitchfork Music Festival Paris set he did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnfYIHZPD5Q.
- Our new Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan, debuted in All-New Marvel NOW! Point One #1. Her title series hits comic book shops on February 5!
- Alison Sampson made a one-shot comic with Nathan Edmondson called Genesis for Image Comics. The short pitch:”A trippy journey of creation and destruction as one man finds himself with the ability to manifest anything by thinking it—only to learn that with seemingly unlimited power comes unstoppable terror.” Coloured by Jason Wordie, lettered by Jon Babcock and something I think is well worth checking out. Read the solicitation here at Image Comics.
- A first look at the costumes likely to be worn in the upcoming Ninja Turtles film via teenagemutantninjaturtles.com
- This is totally not new, but if you have eyes and ears, you should watch Chinese dating game show If You Are The One. I’m not usually one for reality TV, but this is amazing. Like, really amazing. It screens three times a week on SBS2!
- Thor: God of Thunder has a trade! If you’re in Melbourne, I got my copy from All Star Comics, the same place that sponsors our Damaged Goods Lucky Dip column. You can check out our review of Thor: God of Thunder #1 here.
- Applewood Comic. Adorable.
- Love Junkies have a new single from their upcoming EP!
- And if you have even a passing interest in Fall Out Boy or New Politics, check out this video: